My chicks are 3 weeks now what

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CANDLE98, Jan 20, 2009.

1. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    So my babies are now 3 weeks old and getting mighty loud in the bathroom. Hubby is getting kinda tired of hearing the peeping in the middle of the night so now what should I do? The weather is staying right about freezing outside (lows are 28, highs are 35). I thought that maybe we can put them in the garage, but if we do that, then it can' t be drafty so are we not going to be able to use the garage for our van? I will keep them in the bathroom, they don't bother me. They are starting to jump out of the rubber made tubs I have them it.... Thanks!

2. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    how fun [​IMG]

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I lay chicken wire over the top of tubs so they don't gey out.

Secondly go and buy DH some ear plugs and he will sleep like a baby ! [​IMG]

4. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I've gone to the second hand store and bought old window screens to lay over brooder tubs or boxes. Last year I had an old wood packing crate (rather large) that made the best brooder I've ever had.....

If you move them to the garage you might be able to use something bigger and give them more room to move around as they get bigger but the draft thing is a big issue. Solid , tall sides would help and you'd probably have to use more than one light to try to keep temps comfy. Definitely won't be able to leave the garage door open...........

Julie [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Go to an appliance store and get a lare box and some chicken wire or a screen as mentioned by others. Move them into the garage with a nice heatlamp and the noises is gone and no more flying the coop.

6. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Sweet thanks guys! I lost the battle last night and I have to move them in the garage! Boo.... Maybe my kids going in and out of the garage will make him change his mind! My two girls ages 4 and 1 1/2 play with the chicks almost all day long! I think the chicks hate it, but they get carried around everywhere.

7. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Sorry to hear they are garage bound.

Fortunately my wife and I are equally enamored with our babies.

I am retired so I can make up for lost sleep (like last night) by taking daytime naps. Our 4 cats are mildly curious about the 6 chicks we have in a dog carrier. But like our parakeets and the grown up chickens we let the cats know anything resembling a threatening gesture will get them a smack on the back leg OR timeout in the bathroom with the door closed (for our youngest Jackie).

I figure when they are 8 weeks old it will still be too cold for them to be out (we live in Central New Jersey) so we'll split the 6 into groups of 3 into two dog carriers and put them in the basement where it is a cozy 58 no matter how cold it is outside...

Best of luck with your guys. Make DH his favorite dinner, maybe he'll warm up to the chickies...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by