My chicks are about 3 weeks old and still wont stand up.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stans chick, Jul 1, 2010.

1. stans chick

stans chick New Egg

Jul 1, 2010
    I got 4 chicks about 2 weeks ago 2 of the chicks will not stand up.We got food from the vet for a boost in nutrition.they have had no contact with toxins,they sit on their feet,everything i have read about merricks disease leads me to believe it might be something else,but this is the first chickens i have got as an adult.thinking about culling them if they don't recover soon they seem fine but not improving and not growing.The other 2 are thriving.Any advise?

2. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Quote:I'm not sure. I think I would cull, but that's my opinion. I'm answering to bump this post up for you.

Jen

3. Morag

Morag Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2010
    Moniaive Scotland
    I've got one chick who wouldn't stand, it was born on the 1st of June, 1 of 6. The other 5 are now almost fully feathered and are about 4 times the size. I am keeping the special needs one in the house in a cat basket and it is eating and cheeping and seems to be growing slowly but still looks like a week old chick. It walks on its hocks but gets around ok. I am very attached to it and am reluctant to cull but there is no way I could put it back with the others, it wouldn't survive. If I thought it was suffering I wouldn't keep it going but it doesn't appear to be ill or distressed.

4. stans chick

stans chick New Egg

Jul 1, 2010
    Yep that is the exact situation mine are in.One is in better shape then the other I think one will have to go for sure,she is starting to make a lot of noise that does not sound like shes happy.The other I will be a bit more patient.

The two healthy ones were in a fenced in area I made for them in the yard for a bit today and broke out,mad chicken chase.both are back inside plotting the next escape.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by