My "chicks" are about 7 weeks now

cyart

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Pennsylvania
and, other than bread, will not eat any treats. I've tried watermelon, strawberries, yogurt, lettuce, rama noodles... they just look at it, may peck at it, and go about their business. What the heck is their problem? Will they like treats when they get older or are my chicks missing the "treats are good" part of their brains?

Christine

My chicks wouldn't eat treats either (other than grass and bugs), but people say if you sprinkle some of their crumble on it they'll figure out that it's food. Have you tried that?
D.gif

So far, for my chicks, presentation is everything

they will not touch whole treats, fruits/veggies or even slices..
if I want them to eat it, I've got to basically dice it first... which is pretty easy

also.. I have to put it in a dish or bowl they recognize.. I use small pet crocks or pot pie tins..

yesterday, I used a 3 tier wire basket to give them some cucumber slices, they took to it right away, but then again, the LOVE cucumber

although.. they love corn MOST so far

if only I could figure out when to give them sunflower seeds... when are they old enough.. we'd be set

I am new to all of this. We have 6 chickens that are 7 weeks old. 2 RIR (I think one is a rooster), 2 silver laced wyandottes, a buff orpington and a black australorps.

Last evening I put frozen seedless grapes in the coop. They pecked at them a while, but once they thawed they were all over them. I had a ball watching them steal the grapes from one another. They definitely enjoyed the grapes.

I also got some plain yogurt and put in their coop. Once they knew that was there, again, they went nuts. The buff had it slung all over her back. I guess the australorps didn't want any to go to waste so she proceeded to eat it off the buff's body.

We've only had these guys for two weeks and I'm already attached. My husband thinks I'm nuts since I've named all of them. It's funny though, I think he enjoys them as much as I do.

Try some uncooked oatmeal. My 5 week olds are particular too but they LOVE the oatmeal. Now every time they see me coming they run to me to get their oatmeal. Since they've gotten used to that, they are more open to trying other snacks I bring, like the tomatoes yesterday!!

Back
Top Bottom