My chicks are arriving today!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickpeaCT, Nov 13, 2013.

1. ChickpeaCT

ChickpeaCT Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2013
    I am so excited for my first batch of chicks! I ordered 5 chicks from Meyer. The shipping update says they're in my state, so I hope to have them by this afternoon.

Fingers crossed that all survive the trip!

Cheers,
    Corinne

2. PineShavings

PineShavings Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    Tex
    Yep, looks like they should. My 50 Buff chicks are getting delivered today and should be arriving tomorrow. I ordered 150 a couple weeks ago and not a single one was dead when they arrived, very surprised.

3. kar-bear

kar-bear Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2013
    St. Peters, MO
    My 9 chicks are on their way from Ideal in Tx. should be here between today and tomorrow. so excited and scared, this is my first time. I hope I have every thing ready, its like getting ready to have a baby of my own but 9... haha... I am wandering if one brooder light is enough, I will have them in a plastic storage box, it would fit a large Christmas tree. Any suggestions how to hang the light over the top? I am just doing my mothering nesting time...

4. PineShavings

PineShavings Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    Tex

One light is enough for 9 chicks. I have lamps that have clamps so I just get a long stick, pole, broom stick, etc. and make sure it's longer than the brooder and clamp it there. They should be fine for the first couple weeks, then they'll realize they can fly so they're gonna start jumping on each other if you don't give them adequate space.

5. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

[​IMG]

6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I also have a 3 month old should be here today. Tracking is kinda messed up though. She was sent from 120 miles away and should be here by now but tracking says she's still 120 miles away :/ . It hasn't been updated since 430 yesterday afternoon! That's 14 hours ago as of now... :/. I just pray she arrives this morning like she is supposed too!! I'm so worried. Wonder why nothing had been posted to tracking in 14 hours!! Please whisper a little prayer for her that she will arrive this morning!!! And that' she is healthy and safe. I just pray she's not just sitting some where! I'm starting to get really nervous about this. When she was shipped the breeder said his paper work says she should arrive today by noon but when I look online it says thursday by 3. GOD I hope not!! I don't understand its only 120 miles. I just had chicks sent 3,000 miles and it only took two days. This should NOT take two days!!! The breeders paper work says today by noon so please pray she does in fact arrive today by noon! It scares me to think she might just be sitting some where!!! Last time I ordered from this breeder I was picking up my chicks by this time. . I'm starting to worry!! :/

7. kar-bear

Sep 17, 2013
    St. Peters, MO
    The broom stick over the brooder is a good idea, I was waiting for my son to make something special, but I will have to deal with what I have. the proper space isnt going to be a problem, I just found out that 9 turned into 7, two of which I ordered were not shipped yet.
    I have two jar lids filled with feed for the first couple hours so I can see how that act after I get them home and cleaned up, I am nervouse about the vent inspection also, never did this before, I know I will be fine. Just wish I had someone here to help me for the first time to make sure I do it right, but I have children so I know how to clean a little be-hind..hahah..

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    My bird is here!! On my way to pick her up!!! :) :) I'll post some picts later!! Just wanted to update.

9. kar-bear

Sep 17, 2013
    St. Peters, MO
    aww, great.....

10. ChickpeaCT

ChickpeaCT Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2013
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been lurking for months!

So, I just got the call and picked up my chicks. Opened the box when I arrived home and unfortunately one chick was DOA :( It was one of my Blue Ameracaunas. Very sad, and I'm glad my kids weren't home to see. Another is very, very weak. Any tips on nursing her back to health? (at least attempting) I dipped all of their beaks in the electrolyte water.

My other 3 are great. One is super active and seems a little bigger than the other two. The active chick has already found the chick starter. So here's what I have:

1 Active Chick - I think Dominique
    1 Yellow Chick - Meal Maker (I have to post pics to solve the mystery)
    1 Blue Ameraucauna
    1 Weak Chick - Rare Egg Layer Mystery - I think she's some sort of Polish because she has an afro.

-Corinne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by