My chicks are attacking my hand PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ragerkid2, Apr 23, 2011.

1. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    I got a straight run from TSC of Light Barhamas and at first they were really nice i give them treats from my hand. But now when i put my hand in the brooder they run twards it and bite it. (its not a peck its a BITE) Please help I want these to be tame because there my pets!!!
    Thanks

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:The see your hand as food now. Mine did this when I stuck my hand in because they thought I had food.

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Sounds like they are tame. This is their natural thing, they have no clue its your finger instead of treats. Plus they are attracted to fingers anyway, I guess they think large worms when they see your fingers.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Normal chick behavior. They use their beaks like kids use hands, to check everything out! [​IMG]

I think one mistake people make when getting chickens is expecting them to be like puppies and kittens. It's not the same at all.

5. Eglyntine

Eglyntine Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I have a 5 month old roo that I raised from a chick. When he was a chick, I would put my hand in the brooder and he would come running over just as fast as his little legs could carry him, bite the dickens out of my finger and then hop up on my wrist like he just became King of the Mountain. 5 months later he looks like this and does the same thing to me. He will perch up on my arm for as long as I let him and he coos and trills the whole time.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

My boys named him Mario when he was little but I call him Bo. [​IMG]

As long as you feed and handle them consistently, 9 times out of 10 they are going to adore you. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  6. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Ok thanks everyone!!! And that roo is adorable!!!

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:x2

8. CrazyCatLady76

CrazyCatLady76 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Hazard
    Quote:Sounds pretty much the same to me--I've never deal with a puppy or kitten who didn't learn about the world by chewing on it.

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:x2

X4!! Normal behavior for poultry!!!

10. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    Mine go after any spots on my hands (I think they think it is a bug) or veins (worms, maybe?). One gave me a chickemolectomy. There is (well, was) a small mole on the back of my wrist. My buff brhama chick (now 18 days old) pecks at it everytime I put my arm in there. Today it fell off... lol. Must be a Chickadermatologist. They are sooooo much fun though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by