my chicks are bored...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lilchicklover, Jul 5, 2011.

1. lilchicklover

lilchicklover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    My chicks are 8 days old in a large brooder but they need some fun in there. they have a couple roosts but i have heard of some fun things but when i see them i can never get back to them on BYC. If anyone has any fun things to put in the brooder for the chicks please tell me my 7 chicks and sooo bored.

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Do you have a thermometer in there? When my chicks were little they LOVED pecking the thermometer, knocking it over, standing on it and then of course pooping on it [​IMG] .

3. jason180sx

jason180sx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    ireland
    give them some treats

4. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I've seen people hang cd's in the brooder. Chickens love "the shiny!" [​IMG]

5. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    I put a log in the brooder and sprinkled feed over it and they really liked pecking at it... maybe it is kind of like foraging? in a way? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  6. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Put a small tinfoil pie plate in there. They can peck at it and jump on it.

7. lbartsch

lbartsch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    I take mine out to the yard to free range in a penned in area in the grass and they love it. After about an hour they're all tuckered out and they take a long nap. When I see them getting tired, I bring them back in.

8. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Big rocks that they can climb on, handfulls of grass and weeds they can peck at and scratch around, dixie cup, cat balls with bells in them, big sticks and I had a milk crate upside down that they LOVED to go in and out of. I had tree limbs stuck through some of the holes of the crate and they would climb on them to get to the top or through! They loved that!

9. tiny529

tiny529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    What a great post! I was just going to post a similar thing. I'm sitting here at my computer with 5 nearly 3 weeks old chicks peeping at me like crazy. They all seem to want to come out, but once they are out, they want to go back in. Going to try some toys now!!

Edited to add... They are all staring at the cd I tossed in there as if it's something from outer space that might eat them. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  10. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Get a BabyCake from ForageCakes. Soak it in a little bit of water for two minutes and then give it to them- that'll make them go nuts!

Give them a pine cone or an old piece of a stump or bark off the ground.

Give them thawed corn.

Give them a half cucumber or banana.

Give them half a yellow squash or zucchini or melon...leave the seed in!

Sprinkle feed on any of these things and stand back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by