My Chicks Are Boycotting!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by amyfitz100, Aug 12, 2013.

1. amyfitz100

amyfitz100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    I converted a rabbit hutch for our chicks (4 and 5 weeks old) and after reading about sweet pdz, decided to make trays on the floor filled with it. Sounds great and looks nice, but they won't walk in it! All four have stayed on top of feeder for the last 24 hours -- except when we moved them ourselves, but they did everything they could not to walk in the stuff. I put their water and a treat at the opposite side, but even that didn't coax them off. In fact, it's pretty hot and humid here so we finally put the water where they could reach it from the feeder. Didn't want to be an enabler, but didn't want dead chicks, either. [​IMG] I put a roost near the top of the coop made out of a PVC pipe, but I'm thinking its too slippery and maybe not sturdy enough. Today I added a branch across the floor so they can get the idea. If they get brave enough they may just use it to walk from one end to the other without touching the floor!

2. amyfitz100

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    (Didn't mean to hit send -- I'm new to this). Are they eventually going to figure it out? Any suggestions -- or just leave them alone?[​IMG]

3. DLV58

DLV58 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    Nebraska
    lol...silly birds

4. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    They are still a bit too young to roost, I think. I also think they will discover the benefits of pdz eventually. Like that it makes an excellent dust bath.

Mine took to it within seconds, after having been on shavings for the first 2 weeks of their lives.

5. amyfitz100

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    They are FINALLY realizing it's fun. Crazy chicks.

6. ster14097

ster14097 New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    What is PDZ?

7. amyfitz100

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    I learned about it on here. It's a horse stall refresher that absorbs odors. You're supposed to sprinkle or work it into the straw in your stall, but you can actually use it like kitty litter! It absorbs the ammonia smell, and coats the chicken poop, so it's easily scoopable. I bought a 25 lb bag at the tractor supply for around $10. Mine was a granular form, but ive heard its also a powder. It's working great! A lot of people seem to make a "poop board" under their roost, put a lip around it, and spread the pdz. Then you just scoop the poop and it's very easy. I highly recommend it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by