My Chicks Are Brilliant!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bridebeliever, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, brilliant? Maybe just very aware. But seriously it's amazing what comes preprogrammed in them!!! They've never seen an adult chicken but today I had them outside for their "fun and forage time". I was down in the grass with them and all of a sudden they quit their little chortling and we're all looking up. So I looked up and dag nab it if there wasn't a hawk circling overhead!! [​IMG]. Wow! How do they know to look up at that and be quiet?! I'm not very thrilled that the hawk saw them either! I never leave them unattended though and they are in a covered run. They are 2 weeks and 2 days old. They amaze me all the time with their antics too!

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

[​IMG]
    Chickens are RARELY safe and they KNOW IT! Almost every predator, domestic or feral, finds them tasty unfortunately [​IMG]

I am so glad to read that you never leave your gang unattended! [​IMG] we all know they have few natural defenses. So if you think like a predator to keep them safe, they will always remain safe!

Do you have pictures of your littles?

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Chickens have been keeping track of overhead objects since that big rock fell out of the sky and hit the Yucatan 65,000,000 years ago. You know that space rock that made dinosaur nuggets out of your and my chickens' ancestors. So today If anything casts an overhead shadow our chickens don't trust it. I think that the proper term is "adaptation."

4. Bridebeliever

Yep! Here's some in their run today...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have 9. My first ever!

5. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

Looks like a great flock, what do you have in there?

6. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Bride! It is amazing! In a split second, they all react. Your run/forage area looks chickenlicious. What's in that coop? I live near a military base. The first time a huge transport plane flew over and cast a shadow, my 15 literally panicked. It was amazing and pitiful.

7. Bridebeliever

I have two RIR, two SLW, one GLW, one Australorp and three Andelusians! Love 'em!

8. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    great choices! I have not had Andalusians yet! I should get some hatching eggs shouldn't I? [​IMG][​IMG] oh the addiction!!

9. Bridebeliever

LOL...yes you SHOULD! I love those chickens! They have been the most personality of the group! Their names are nickle, dime and duck.

10. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    love the names! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by