My chicks are dieing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Triphammer, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Triphammer

Triphammer New Egg

Dec 2, 2012
    Nov 2nd of this year I bought 13 golden comets from the a local feed store. Wanted to try to have hens starting to lay their first spring rather than starting just in time to stop for the winter.
    The feed store didn't have medicated starter feed so I mixed a little ACV in their water.
    Everything was going fine until I lost one @ 2 1/2 weeks. She was always a bit small so I didn't think much about it.
    Then, at about 4 weeks, 1 then another got wobbly, - stagered like they were drunk, by the third day the first was dead. Over the course of a week I lost 5 the same way.
    Asking locally I found some antibiotics I could give them ( Istopped the ACV at the same time) & all was right with the world until last week. Another started getting wobbly so I restarted the octamiacin (SP) but lost her today anyway. I just came in froom their afternoon feed & it looks like two more are dizzy & I'm afaid I'm going to lose more. It's ben
    Theve been in a 4 x4 brooder in the hen house. Outdoor temps have been in the 50's during the day with some nights getting down to the low 20's. I've had three lamps on them the whole time. Two ate 24/7 the third on a thermostat so it doesn't overheat.

Supposedly my bakers dozen are the only ones out of a hundred purchased that are having this high mortality rate.

2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    They sound like they could be about the right age to get cocci that is caused by a parasite. Try getting some Corid and put about 10 cc in a gallon waterer. This is the dosage for the liquid 9.6% Corid. I get mine at tractor supply but you could see if the other feed stores carry it. I like corid better than sulmet because corid gets rid of all the kinds of cocci and sulmet only gets rid of some of them. Do this for 5 days. Keep their brooder super clean and dry to help get rid of the parasites that live in their poop.

3. Triphammer

Triphammer New Egg

Dec 2, 2012
    Well, day five of CORID treatment & things are looking up. I lost one on treament day two but she was pretty far gone at that point. The other two wobbly girls are getting around OK so I hope I'm through this.
    Thanks "flgardengirl" ever so much for your input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by