1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my chicks are doing good

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gapeachy, Feb 15, 2009.

1. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    checked on all my chicks this morning they are doing great....how do they get all that junk in their water so quick....I have to clean it out like 5 times a day....this morning it was completely clogged with shavings...so far out of 150 chicks I have lost only 4... one came here dead and one with pasty butt...one just weak and one I found under the waterer...I dont know if I put it over it or not when I set it down...now I look real close....those araucana's sure are hearty....I dont think I will lose one of those....

2. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

After they are a week old or so I put the water on top of a little platform I built using 1 inch strips of wood. I screw them together to form a square that is 1 ft by 1ft. I cover the top with hardware cloth (1/2 in square wire). That way they can't scratch as much shavings in the waterer. It works great..I saw a picture of it being used for raising ducks two help reduce the mess they make and it has proven to be very effective for chickens as well.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by