My chicks are dying???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crystalchik, Jul 2, 2010.

1. crystalchik

crystalchik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2008
    Central Florida
    I have silkie and silkie crosses that I have been getting. I have 3 broody silkies out in the coop and all of them are full of eggs. I havent been using my incubator because I would prefer them to be naturally set on just because the chicks are healthier. But recently when I take the chicks in (once they hatch I take them inside so I dont brake the broody), withing a week most seem to become lethargic and die. No other symptoms, they eat and drink, no nasal discharge, runny eyes...some seem like they have pasty butts but I though that was normal with such a fluffy silkie chick and I just keep them clean. Could their be a disease they are getting that just doesnt show symptoms? What do I do?

2. PegramPoultryProprietor

PegramPoultryProprietor Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Not much to go on here, temp ok in the brooder? Can they move to a cooler spot if they want? Are you feeding medicated feed, or treating the water with anything? Chick mortality is usually related to environment, water or food as best I can tell you. This time of year I would be most concerned about overheating.

3. crystalchik

crystalchik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2008
    Central Florida
    I know there's not much to go on, which is why im stumped too. Yes, temp is okay, its usually about 83 in here, but they have a lamp and can leave if they want. They are on medicated chick starter. Just reg water.
    Do you think they may be picking up Cocci out there? Should I treat them for it? As chicks that seems harsh to do but if theyre dying...?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by