My Chicks Are Dying

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bgates1970, Aug 8, 2008.

1. bgates1970

bgates1970 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Elko, MN
    Last week, I purchased 25 Cornish X from Hoover Hatchery. On the first night I lost 2 chicks, the second night I lost 1 chick. They sent me a total of 27 so I think they knew I'd lose a couple. The ones that died the first 2 days hadn't gained any weight. They were tiny. They are now 8 days old! This evening I cleaned out their brooder and they were all healthy and active. I picked up each one of them to examine. No pasty butt, nothing... I just got home (3 hours later) and 3 are dead.

I have them in a 4 x 3 ft wire dog crate. I have panels fastened on all four sides so it's not drafty at all. I have a heat lamp maintaining the temp at 85 - 90 degrees. At times I thought it appeared to warm because they rarely went into the center.

My routine everyday is:
    Mornings - clean out waterers and give fresh water, give them more food.
    Evenings - clean out waterers, let waterers soak in hot water to clean, give fresh water and clean out food tray and give more food.

I purchased a batch in April and didn't lose one chick following this routine. I'm feeding them the same food, Dumor Chick Starter from TSC.

What do I do?

2. bgates1970

Apr 8, 2008
    Elko, MN
    I wanted to also add... No bloody stool (just checked), they aren't gasping for air or breathing funny... they just layed down spread out and died. I have been putting vitamins in their water as well.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd give them milk w/ sugar in it. If any others look sick then I'd get them some teramyacin.

I lost 11 my first week. I should have acted quicker.

4. bgates1970

Apr 8, 2008
    Elko, MN
    Thanks! This is frustrating! I just gave them some milk with a little sugar. I'll have to see if I lose any overnight.
    From what I'm reading on other threads it sounds like chicks purchased after June are not as robust or healthy so you should plan on losing some. I guess being a "New Egg" this is a lessoned learned.

Should I have started them on a medicated feed? I didn't do it for my first batch this spring and everything worked out great then.

5. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    I just asked the same ? and Speckled Hen said they should be one medicated starter/grower to build up their immune systems, so you might want to try that.

6. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    From my understanding the Cornish X can't have food 24/7 you have to take the food away totaly at night starting on day 5 or they will eat themselves to death. I take my broilers food away at night and give it back in the morning. Good Luck

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd give them a bigger brooder. If they're too warm that isn't much space to escape the heat...especially with the sides enclosed.

8. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Quote:I'd try limiting their food at night in case they're gorging. I didn't fill the feeders at night and didn't lose any.

9. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    I don't think it's anything you're doing as far as feeding and watering.

They may have gotten chilled during shipment... often you will not see the effects from getting too cold until days afterward.

Do make sure they can get away from the heat lamp if they need to; maybe put it to one side of the dog crate instead of right in the middle.

Good luck!

10. HeadHen

HeadHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Also I have seen on a lot of other threads that you should be careful with the vitamins in the water, the hotter they are the more they drink and they can inadvertantly OD on the vitamins, even when you are putting the recommended amount in...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by