My chicks are eating A Lot

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lori J, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Lori J

Lori J Songster

Jun 18, 2017
    This is my second set of chicks to raise. We got these for from tractor supply a couple weeks ago. But they are eating so much and I didn’t remember that they ate so much. If I fill up the jar, it is almost all gone in a day. It’s his normal or my chicks just super eaters?

Attached Files:

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Hi there. :frow

How many chicks have ya got?

I see lot's spread around there inside your brooder. Chicks are super messy and wasteful.

Raising it to be level with their back can help to reduce waste. :)

3. Jbum

Jbum Songster

Apr 10, 2019
    Mid Michigan
    CityslickerHomestead likes this.
  4. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    MainelyChicks85 and Lori J like this.
  5. Stacyoung13

Stacyoung13 Crowing

Apr 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Try adding an extension down from the jar, it keeps the food shallow in the tray so less waste. I cut the top and bottom off of a water bottle, used duct tape to hold onto jar.
    A599C51F-1880-4BF8-BDD8-1261C45EA2B3.jpeg B901E0BE-B422-4128-AD5D-FD5526BACFBB.jpeg
    I then set it up on a piece of 2x4 so that it’s off the floor. Food lasts a whole lot longer.

6. Those are some good ideas to adjust your feeder to avoid waste. I to found that type of feeder just led to alot of waste.
    I like the old type trough feeders with the spinning bar accross the top to stop them roosting on it.

Lori J and igorsMistress like this.
  7. 5GodsDown

5GodsDown Chirping

Apr 1, 2019
    Belgium
    Hi

I bought my first ever chicks this weekend. They don't seem to be that messy yet, but I have a tray like this picture but then smaller for chicks. They can't really make a mess out of it, only some of the shaving gets in sometimes, so we just clean that a few times a day. My chicks are also eating soooo much. Last night one had such a big crop I was getting worried, but this morning it was gone. I guess it doesn't do any harm. I got them from a specialized chicken farm which was passed on from generation to generation and they said they can decide for themselves how much they eat.

Attached Files:

8. Lori J

Lori J Songster

Jun 18, 2017
    Egg sighted, i have four chicks, as seen in the picture. What about putting The feeder in a pie pan? Would that just make it hard for them to get to it? That feeder is top-heavy so I’m not sure what I could set it on without it Turning over any tips?

9. Stacyoung13

Stacyoung13 Crowing

Apr 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I’ve got mine on a brick and it has never tipped over
    654DEBC6-60A8-4EE5-B3C1-C6F84C755E1E.jpeg
    I wouldn’t think a pie pan would keep them from food. I wouldn’t use a deep dish though. lol

Lori J and EggSighted4Life like this.
  10. Chicksnmind

Chicksnmind Songster

Feb 16, 2018
    Central Florida
    Might be normal it seems like I’m filling mine up about 75% about once a day. I have 7. I’ve noticed my bantam Orpingtons are piggies and seem to be almost always eating. My lone silkie eats a bit and then practices jumping on the rest like let’s play.

What kind of birds do you have? Look under the shavings to see if there is wastage. I have paper towels so I know mine aren’t wasting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: