My chicks are eating dirt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wberry85, Mar 10, 2011.

1. wberry85

wberry85 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    Milton, GA
    Is this ok? I read some people put dirt in the brooder to give them some entertainment and let them get some grit out of it, but they are picking up chunks of dirt and swallowing them. Now I dont reckon my chicks are a bunch of geniuses, but should I be worried?

2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    are they getting enough to eat? if you're worried, cover the dirt with paper towels and encourage them to eat by giving them some yogurt or chopped up scrambled egg. if they don't have a mother hen to tell them what to eat, they'll just peck whatever they see on the ground.

3. wberry85

Feb 21, 2011
    Milton, GA
    Yeah it seems like they will take a break and go back to the food, but they put a serious dent in the dirt mound I put in there, so I just wasnt sure how well all that would digest...

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Actually, it will probably just pass right through them. They're like any baby - put everything in their mouths... err... beaks. And swallowing it won't hurt them. It may even be beneficial, introducing them to things for which they need to build immunity.

5. motoclown

motoclown Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    New Castle, PA
    How old are the chicks?

6. wberry85

Feb 21, 2011
    Milton, GA
    Woke up this morning and they ate the whole mound!! They are about a week and a half old. I guess we'll see. [​IMG]

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Are you leaving food for them 24/7. They need alot of food. I have 30 chicks their a month old & they ate 25 lbs in one week. I'm constantly filling their waterer & feeder.

8. wberry85

Feb 21, 2011
    Milton, GA
    Yeah they always have plenty of food. They eat about a quart a day between the eight of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by