MY CHICKS ARE EATING PAPER!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by marymac, Aug 26, 2008.

1. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Why are they doing this? i know chicks will try things but you would think after they find out it's not food they would quit. I have them in a cage and they have plenty of food and fresh water all the time. I am sure they are warm, they seem to be happy and are very active. still they go around tearing up the paper toweling in the bottom of their cage. I've actually seen them eat it. Also it comes out with their poop. How bad is this? and will it hurt them?[​IMG]:

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I don't know if it will hurt them but I'm sure it's a good thing that your seeing it in the poo! I would just take the paper towel out since they are eating it anyhow. I took mine out at just two days old and they were fine. The bad thing is that they will have TONS of bedding in the water and you will have to change it 3X's a day. I ended up making a small table for them and put their water on that...what a time saver!

3. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    I don't think that chickens are all that smart when it comes to eating. I saw mine all fighting over a piece of styrofoam that had somehow gotten into their cage. It was funny to watch, but I don't think its all that healthy for them.

I've also seen them eat paper and I haven't had any get sick or die on me. I'd say..."let them eat cake."

4. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    what would i use for bedding? i have pine shavings but i thought they would eat that too. I hate to just use bare wire floor for them as they are only 1 wk old. Any ideas?

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

At a week old, go ahead and use pine shavings. They'll figure out that's not tasty. Chickens have something with styrofoam and love to eat it for some reason. Maybe it's the squeak against the beak. No idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by