My chicks are eating woodshavings! HELP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by opps00, Apr 20, 2008.

1. opps00

opps00 New Egg

Apr 16, 2008
    I recently bought two 6 week old chicks and theyre eating the "premium wood shavings" that i bought. How do i train them to eat food like rice and vegtables

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Try covering the wood shavings with paper towels for a week or so so that the only food available is real chick food.

After a week or two take away the paper towels and see if they have stopped eating the shavings.

3. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Are they in a brooder? I have heard suggestions here to put paper towels in a brooder until the chicks learn where the food is and that the chick food is what they should eat. I used a blanket. To get them to eat something else, just provide a small amount for them where they can reach it and eventually they will be bold enough to try. They may not like it right away. My chicks had no idea what to do with broccoli when I first hung it in their cage, two days later they fight each other getting it.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    At 6 weeks they should not be eating the shavings. If you got them at this age they are most likely accustomed to eating chick starter crumbles and are scratching and trying to find them in the shavings. They will have to be taught the rice and vegetables are food. Just so you know rice and vegetables isnot a complete diet. If you feed themonly that you will also have to give them some form of grit to help with digestion. I suggest you get chick starter for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by