my chicks are feathering out with white wings - do chicks put out baby

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by peacebird, Sep 7, 2007.

1. peacebird

peacebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    feathers? Or are they likely to be white chickens? Their moms are red sex link so maybe they "reverted" to leghorn coloring?

When will their "true" colors show?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yes, birds have a "teenage" feathering If they are white with no other colors, they could be white adults. They will likely have other colors though if they are mixes. I believe a red sexlink is a RIW and a RIR cross. True colors will show at about 3 months when their adult feathers come in full blast.

3. peacebird

peacebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    Thank you! I was worried they would be all white & somehow white chickens remind me of the Far Side cartoon of a deer with a bullseye on his side... The other deer says "Bummer of a birthmark, Bob"

White chickens <-- cute, but hardly good "camo" to help hide from hawks in the field.... [​IMG]

4. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Quote:Wow ... I have that cartoon cut out and pasted in a notebook. LOL, funny you reminded me of it. [​IMG]

trish

5. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    KK, then my Golden Laced Crested Polish is an oddball. She doesn't have the typical marking of a Golden Laced. She's all Golden with some black on the end of the tail feathers but the new feathers coming in on her crest are completely white. She is 3months and 11 days old. Here is a somewhat recent picture of her but you can barely see the white. I would say at least half of her head is now completly white.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by