1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicks are fighting - 2 weeks old! They think they are Rambo chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thepetpaw, Sep 10, 2008.

1. thepetpaw

thepetpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Tennessee
    I dont understand why my chicks are fighting...are they playing.

I have seen adult chickens bump their chest against one another and then peck....well my baby chicks are doing this also. They are not around any larger chcikens to see or copy this behavior... but why would they do this....? Do I have a bunch of roos? It seems that one of my SL polish keeps jumping and bumping my little silkie turken and there is a light Brahma that is getting in on the action and pushing his/her wieght around...is this normal?[​IMG]

I also have three week old chicks in another brooder box and they are not displaying this kind of behavior at all...what do I do about the little tough guys/girls....?[​IMG]

I will take a video tomorrow and show everyone - it is crazy to watch them spar! I am afaraid they might hurt one another...!!!!

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh yes it is very normal. They will go through several periods of rambo chest bumping while they establish their pecking order. As they get older, they will define them again...there seems like always one of them has to try to take over. [​IMG]

My group of 21 that are now 6 weeks old have been doing it off and on since about 2 weeks old. Amazingly, the two breeds that are reportedly docile and often get bullied (Cochins and Salmon Faverolles) jump in the action too and take no stuff! I was amazed when one of the RIRs charged a SF and instead of getting bullied, the SF let the RIR have it and backed her into a corner. [​IMG] And my love bug, Splash Cochin named Luna...she will back em down too. So, unless there is blood drawn, I would not get concerned.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    They are just establishing their pecking order.

4. thepetpaw

thepetpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Tennessee
    Ok thats you guys...I was a little concerned because the older bunch of chiks didnt or are not exibiting this behavior....yet!

5. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    My americana pullets did the same thing not long ago.I like how they kinda size each other up.They are just trying to see who is the big boy or girl in the coop.Both sexes do it, Will

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by