My chicks are hatching one at a time?!?!?! whats this mean!?? HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amandamiffey, Aug 19, 2013.

1. amandamiffey

amandamiffey Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    This is my first time incubating eggs and i had 8. two i lost to early death witch i identified correctly but the others werre maturing fine. i have a still air incubator and one hatched on day 20 its day 21 and another pipped and hatched today but no others yet. normal??? there was one spike that killed two eggs. no low temps or other high spikes. help!!!

2. amandamiffey

Aug 19, 2013
    Someone help! ;(

3. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

There's no need to panic yet. I often have a chick hatch a day before the rest. Even with my broody hens recent clutch. Give them some more time and leave the bator closed. I know its tempting to want a better look at or to hold the first hatchers, but opening the lid could shrink wrap the rest. Chicks can go 2-3 days before needing food or water. The yolk sak nourishes them at first.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  4. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    The eggs will hatch at different times I have had one hatch on day 25 do not worry and keep the incubator closed! If you keep opening it will cause the humidity to drop and the chicks get shrink wrapped and die. Give them a couple more days some may be slower than others. Best of luck!

1 person likes this.
  5. kschnetz

kschnetz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    California
    They don't always hatch at the same time! Don't start to worry until day 24 or 25 =) Its important that the incubator is humid enough, as this helps them hatch. Good luck!

6. amandamiffey

Aug 19, 2013
    Still no more babies this morning just the two! I'm being hopeful!

7. bluehousefarm

bluehousefarm Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

May 21, 2013
    Fairview, North Carolina
    Hopefully you will get some more before the day is over. Day 22 is not really late, yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by