MY CHICKS ARE HATCHING!!!!!!

Porpie Pie

Songster
May 5, 2021
About 1030 or 11am I heard a peep. I got closer to the incubator and heard more peeps!!!! I also hear tapping which I assume is them starting to pip externally. It's 430 ( in Wisconsin) now and I still don't see any holes in the shell but I know the process can take about 24 hrs. I've had issues with keeping the humidity steady in this incubator and I worry they may have become shrink wrapped. I wonder though if they did would they be able to peck at the shell to make that first external pip? Or does shrink wrap keep them from unzipping? Should I assume it's safe to help after the 24 hrs? I would most likely play it safe and help with unzipping and still let them try to get out on their own as to not harm them but what is a safe time frame? I won't help at all before I absolutely HAVE to just trying to make sure I have a plan if I need to.

What day of incubation are you on?
Day 22 for 2 of the eggs day 21 for 1 and 18 for the other one. My incubator would fluctuate by 2 degrees warmer and cooler so I tried to keep it on the cooler side so when the temp went up it didn't get too hot. I expected a later hatch

Hello again! First I want to introduce Beans. 1st egg to hatch out of all of them on day 22. Beans has been out of the egg approximately 2 hrs and has not stopped bouncing around. I moved it to the bin with the heat lamp a little early because I was afraid it was going to jump right out of the nest I made for them. It drank and ate some already. 2nd, the 3rd pic of the egg is on day 23. It popped externally last night and it was flopping the egg around something fierce. Today I haven't seen or heard anything. Peeping started about 1030-11am yesterday 7/19. The fuzz I see sticking out looks like it's drying. How much longer should I wait until I step in and start chipping the shell to help unzip?

Attachments

• 20210720_120837.jpg
    20210720_120837.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210720_125915.jpg
    20210720_125915.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210720_100651.jpg
    20210720_100651.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 6
What's the humidity at now and did you calibrate your sensor? increase ventilation for oxygen and try to raise humidity if you have to with a sponge or rag.

About 1030 or 11am I heard a peep. I got closer to the incubator and heard more peeps!!!! I also hear tapping which I assume is them starting to pip externally. It's 430 ( in Wisconsin) now and I still don't see any holes in the shell but I know the process can take about 24 hrs. I've had issues with keeping the humidity steady in this incubator and I worry they may have become shrink wrapped. I wonder though if they did would they be able to peck at the shell to make that first external pip? Or does shrink wrap keep them from unzipping? Should I assume it's safe to help after the 24 hrs? I would most likely play it safe and help with unzipping and still let them try to get out on their own as to not harm them but what is a safe time frame? I won't help at all before I absolutely HAVE to just trying to make sure I have a plan if I need to.
:ya:pop

It's at 75. It goes up a little and down a little. The sponge didn't work but I added some pine shavings and water probably equivalent to multiple sponges. It kept it pretty steady all day yesterday. It's up to that point I worry. If they are shrink wrapped would they be able to tap at the shell at all?

It's at 75. It goes up a little and down a little. The sponge didn't work but I added some pine shavings and water probably equivalent to multiple sponges. It kept it pretty steady all day yesterday. It's up to that point I worry. If they are shrink wrapped would they be able to tap at the shell at all?
Shouldn't have to worry about shrink wrapping until after they have externally pipped.

Back
Top Bottom