My chicks are here!!! (PICS)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KellyHM, Oct 23, 2008.

1. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Here are my 6-wk-old Black Copper Marans chicks that I ordered! They're in the semi-ugly stage and don't have all their feathers yet, but I love them anyways! Any ideas on sexes?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm not that familiar with that breed at that age, but looks like at least five cockerels in there. How many total did you get?

3. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I got 7 total. 3 are bigger bodied and have bigger combs/wattles, 3 are smaller, and the last one is somewhere in the middle. I'm hoping at least the 3 smaller ones are pullets. [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I was going to say the same thing, but I have no idea how to sex birds the right way yet.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Where did you get them, Kelly? Seems already obvious that there are several roosters in that bunch. In fact, I'd be surprised if you got 3 pullets out of those. Sure hope I'm proved wrong, but by six weeks old, the sex of most breeds is obvious.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  6. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I bought them off eggbid. I got them relatively cheap, so I decided to take the chance. The other breeds I have don't have straight combs, so I'm not use to looking at them. I guess time will tell!

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    How sad someone took your money and loaded you down with cockerals. That is just dishonest and in no way a sexing mistake. [​IMG]

8. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    every bird i see there is a cockeral. that is sad miss p, how people will rip you off. i am sorry to say dear, but you don't have any girls as far as i can see... you should dispute with the seller if you can!

9. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I already sent her an e-mail telling her they all look like cockerels. She said in e-mails (which I still have) that she thought 3-4 of them were pullets, so I guess I'll give it a little time and see what happens.

On the other hand, some people on the Marans of America website said they saw a couple that could be pullets. So who knows? I guess it will just be a wait and see game.

10. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    There are only two that I see that *MAY* be pullets, but it's a far stretch. I see roos, as well....at six weeks they all look like they have way more comb and wattle than a pullet would....I hope for your sake that they aren't all that way, but otherwise I'd be P.O.'ed!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by