My chicks are here!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by montverdechick, Sep 24, 2010.

1. montverdechick

montverdechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    The girls arrived yesterday...one day early but that is ok. DH worked really hard to get the coop ready for them.

We have 26 chicks: 2 Ameruacanas, 2 Dominiques, 2 Gold Laced Wydottes, 2 Buff Orphingtons and 18 New Hampshire Reds.

12 of the NHRs are going to my cousin's dairy farm in 2 weeks. Right now, the BOs have marks on their heads from the hatchery. Will I be able to tell them apart from the NHRs in 2 weeks?

Thanks!

2. Adorkable

Adorkable Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    I've never raised New Hampshire Reds but I'm raising Buff Orpingtons now and I have raised production reds before. I believe in about 2 weeks they should have wing feathers and the Buff Orpington feathers should be pale yellow and the New Hampshire Reds should have reddish wing feathers. Hope this helps and congratulations on the new chicks [​IMG] Enjoy them while they're small because they grow like weeds! [​IMG]

3. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Congrats!! My 10 silkie chicks came this morning!! They are getting along great with my 3 barred rock/RIR/banty cross chicks that are about the same age!

4. yzmike777

yzmike777 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Cedar City
    Congrats! How fun![​IMG]

5. itsmyobsession

itsmyobsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Georgia
    I have New Hampshires and BO and you will definitely be able to tell them apart in a few weeks, they will grow to look nothing alike.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by