1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my chicks are here!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by grace6691, Jul 17, 2008.

1. grace6691

grace6691 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2008
    GA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm so excited!! they came from Ideal and all are healthy and active. I know it's messy in there - I had a whole brooder planned out but they came two days before we expected them and my little sister had to try and make due while I was at work. Besides that though, they're all great little chicks - I have all pullets that I ordered - a buff brahma, russian orloff, buttercup, silver laced wyandotte, and a silver spangled hamburg. The other yellow chicks are the packing cockerels, and I don't really know what to do with them - what do you guys recommend?

2. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Raise them for a while and possibly donate them to a small "fun farm," kind of deal... here we have a place called "Pingles Farm," they sell veggies, etc. but they also have a small petting farm for kids, thats probably the easiest place to rehome them to.

Also, YAY FOR CHICKS.... I got mine yesterday

3. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Congrats!

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Got mine from MPC today! Cute little buggers, ain't they? Noisey, though! [​IMG]

I was short 3 Partridge Rocks....said they didn't hatch enough to fill the order! [​IMG]

5. comerrick

comerrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    I wish I got the yellow ones for my packing peanuts like you did. I got sex link, so there is no doubt they are male. Darn. Now that I think of it, the yellow ones might be sex linked too. So pretty. I am happy with my order as well.
    Lov
    Liv

6. comerrick

May 15, 2008
  7. grace6691

Jun 20, 2008
    GA
    Hmm.. I think I'll just raise them for a while and see what happens. Our coop is definitely big enough if I can't figure anything else to do with them because we've never eaten our chickens before and even though I'd try it I don't think the rest of my family would go for it haha. I'm so happy with these chicks though!! they're all soooo sweet and cute running around and playing with each other already:D

8. comerrick

May 15, 2008
    Oh, I thought you were asking because you couldn't keep them. I can't, I'm in the burbs. But I would keep an eye on them when they get older, they most likely will fight eachother to death. So you will have to pick your favorite.
    Lov
    Liv

9. grace6691

Jun 20, 2008
    GA
    Welllll we are in the suburbs kindof but we have a 5 acre lot so we have a little privacy and we're zoned agriculturally. I was just looking at the little cockerels and they have orangey red feathers coming in but they look just like normal yellow chicks.. I wonder what kind they are

10. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Ahhh I just love chickies half to death, my cat is really confused as to why his mum brought him home such FUN things to watch and hunt, but why he cannot actually get to them to eat them... and I have to pick him up, take him upstairs, and remind him that, "No Accio... those chickies are NOT for kitty." Mine are all doing great too, I think they actually have grown a slight amount since Wednesday! ... I had one with pastey butt, but it seems like only one so far and I clean her bum so it's all good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by