My chicks are in the garage! :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CANDLE98, Jan 23, 2009.

1. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Well my husband decided that my chicks have to be out of the house. They will be 4 weeks on monday, so now they are out in the garage with 2 heat lamps. The only problem is that he has a tarp over the top and he stapled it down so I can't just bend over and love them up like I had been doing in the bathroom..... And also my little butt-hole packing peanuts they are BR roo's are starting to peck me! Can I eat them yet? I hate those brats! okay i think I am done ranting..... have i mentioned that i LOVE this site!

2. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    I think you'll be glad they're out of your house soon. They start kicking up dust pretty quick. Sounds like you do need to think of another type of lid for your brooder, though. You should be able to have easy access to your babies!

I know what you mean about it being annoying when they peck you. My Delaware, Little (my avatar), who I've always favored, was pecking me tonight while I was petting one of our light Brahmas. She repeated it several times rather maliciously. I don't know if she was jealous or what, but it hurt and made me mad! I'm almost embarrassed to say I entertained fleeting thoughts of possibly eating her! (I'm not going to, really.)

3. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    It must be pecking day today, when I did my head count earlier tonight, one of my Buff Orps pecked the stuffing out of my finger because I pet her 'goodnight' and she didn't want a goodnight pet! The nerve of these chickens!

Also:welcome
    Candle. This site is almost as addicting as your chickens and you will find many co-dependents here.

Rather than eating her, try flicking her so that she knows you are the flock leader and that you will shower any bird with attention and she can not stop you without reprimand. Animals don't reason too much, it's all pecking order and she will only know her place after you TEACH her where her place is. (Below You!)

4. chiefbig1

chiefbig1 New Egg

Oct 31, 2008
    Morgan Hill, CA
    My 6 week old chicks are making the garage move too. There is lots more activity in the booder and shavings are being tossed everywhere (along with dust, poop, food, etc.) I use a converted dog crate for my brooder and even with a tall cardboard dam in front, the stuff is everywhere.

This sweetie lets me pick her up without any fuss at all. She'll even come right up to me and expect to be handled. I won't be happy either if she were to start pecking at me.

But with a face like this, who can get mad?

[​IMG]

5. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Do you have more pics of your dog crate brooder? How did you set the light for them?
    Thanks,
    Nancy

6. Three_Blessings

Three_Blessings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Barry county, Michigan
    You could turn the packing peanuts into chicken nuggets!! [​IMG]

7. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Chicken nuggets! That is awesome! Can I sell them at this age?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by