My chicks are loving the shavings....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jolyn, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    I had my chicks on paper towels for the last 12 days. Today i decided to get rid of the paper towels and just use the shavings. They seem to be loving them. They are rolling around and scratching and just seem to be happy.
    Did your babies do this when they first got shavings?

I have to build a bigger brooder i fear. I have nine chics and they are growing so darn fast. I am amazed at how they grow.

Anyway just wanted to check in.

2. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Yes......the do seem to like to "pick" at it and hunt. They grow sooooo much quicker than I had anticipated also! It is so fun to watch them though, isn't it [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    It's very fun!!

Tonight dh brought home a large box and i have now turned that into their brooder. They were just too crowded in my last one and they were flying up and perching on the side when i was cleaning it and etc.......

I don't know how long they will last in this one.

They sure are sweeties. My boys are having such a wonderful time with them. They are so gentle with them and at 4.5 and 7.5 they know how to hold them and they even talk to them. Very sweet. [​IMG]

4. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    For my newest bunch....I flip the shavings everyday.....My goodness they go nuts like I gave them a can of worms!!! Really helpful to keep them occupied while growing sooooo fast in a smal brooder. I do this just to distract them from one another and keep em' busy- [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by