my chicks are...misbehaving?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mirandamommy, Mar 6, 2008.

1. mirandamommy

mirandamommy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2008
    Central California
    My chicks (5 weeks old) seem to be charging each other. One will jump toward another, causing them to startle and run. Is this typical? Could it be a sign that some of my girls are really boys? [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Normal behavior! At this age boys and girls chest bump to figure out who is top and whos not.

3. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Mine are only a week old and do that. I have some older and they like to try and do little cockfights.

4. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I watched two of mine have a little cock fight, putting their feathers up and jumping at each other. I thought iit was funny. One of my little 5 week olds has really big feet and thick legs. He likes to be the center of attention.

Its fun watching them play. [​IMG]

5. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Yes - normal behavior - they're showing who's boss! My chicks do that a lot - They just go silent then suddenly - clutter clutter!

6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I thought it was just adorable when my little ones did that. Trying to be so tough. [​IMG] Now they all get along great........I suppose that was the beginning of establishing their pecking order.

7. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I love the chest butting the best, that will be next when they get better balance!! [​IMG]

8. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Mine have been doing the chest butting thing since they were a week old. I'm just hoping boys AND girls do it!

9. mirandamommy

mirandamommy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2008
    Central California
    yeah, I've been losing a little hope that all of mine are girls. do both males and females display these behaviors? can you tell the roos from the girls based upon behaviors or do you just have to wait for a crow?

10. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I (obviously, by my other posts) know painfully little about sexing chickens but my babies who are now laying eggs also did this. [​IMG] I was terrified I had 9 roosters for awhile!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by