My "chicks" are now laying....but I am confused!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cjsgrlsx3, Feb 14, 2013.

1. cjsgrlsx3

cjsgrlsx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    I picked up three black sexlinks and a leghorn at tractor supply last spring and have been getting beautiful eggs for a couple of months. My confusion comes in the color of the eggs! One of the black sexlinks is laying a blue egg! The other two are laying a very dark brown egg with darker spots on it! What is going on! I have 14 hens and one rooster all together. There is no way I am mistaken as I watched the "black sexlink" lay the blue egg! What are your thoughts on this?

2. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    Your black sex link is an Easter egger, they all may be,,,, I love my EEers, I moved one of the outdoor nest boxes, one that an EEer uses, she came in the house and looked all over for it, I did put it back for her. I thought she was going to use the bath tub for her new nest,,,,,,

My first hatch everyone said I have black sex links (red Ameraucana roo over bared rock hen), but my male black sex links are mostly females! (5 of 8)

3. cjsgrlsx3

Aug 20, 2011
    Funny because my neighbor has EEs and she looks nothing like them. Lol she doesn't have the puffy cheeks or anything. Thanks for the reply......that is actually what I was thinking too.

4. cjsgrlsx3

Aug 20, 2011
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree that's very odd as nothing on that hen says she should be laying blue eggs!

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I agree with donrae, she looks very much like a black sexlink! However, not all EEs have beards and muffs. They can have characteristics of any breed (feathered legs, crests, ect). What color are her legs? Maybe they'll be her EE trait...sometimes you just get nice little surprises though :)
    Nikki

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  7. cjsgrlsx3

Aug 20, 2011
    She has black legs! I have a grey hen with bright green legs and gives me brown eggs! Go figure! My hens have me confused. I have sat out there and watched most of then lay and am surprised when I see a color I didn't expect!

8. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Do you have pics of the rest of your birds? That straight comb just really throws me that she lays blue eggs.

9. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    So you got barred females from this cross? Do you have pictures of the parents and the offspring?

10. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I haven't taken pics of the parents, or the chicks lately, but I can get some,,,, heres pics of the new hatching's, 2 of the black ones (1 male 1 female) are from a blue Ameraucana hen and red Ameraucana roo (both are most likely EE'ers not full bloods), 1 black with spot, 1 black without spot and the darker orange chick are from my sisters hen, and the one with a spot on its head is looking female at this point and is barred. (she has no barred hen or roo but does have a spotted hen,??) The 2 orange chicks are from a RIR hen with a BO roo. The yellow one is silky bantam roo over the barred rock (is now one of the bigger chicks) All the rest are from the Red roo and the barred rock hen. They look the part of black sex links, but I dont think they are. The chocolate one that is hiding is now red and black bared, and I do have straight standard combs on a few of them, and pea combs on others. A wheaten Ameraucana I have is laying brown eggs, cant wait to see what these girls will do!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by