My chicks are ordered from MPC; what is the vaccine?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by madimorg, Jun 24, 2010.

1. madimorg

madimorg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Central Ohio
    This is a definite newbie question so bear with me [​IMG] I have 17 chicks on order with My Pet Chicken... 11 are due here the week of July 19th and the other 6 are due later in August. Anyway, when I ordered it had an option of to have them vaccinated or not and I chose "yes" for a dollar more per chick. I simply went with "yes" because I figure it's something good for the chicks and a good idea to have done. However, I feel like an idiot because I have no idea what the vaccine is or what it is for. I don¬ít question that it was the right decision; I'm just wondering what the vaccine is and what it protects them from. I'm sure most of you probably know right away the answer to this and I look forward to your replies. Thanks.

2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    It's a Merricks vaccine. I have it done, but some don't.

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Oh Wait!

[​IMG] from California [​IMG]

4. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    When I odered my 8 chicks from MPC a couple of weeks ago, I did the same thing. No research, just clicked the vaccinate box. Since, I have read in several places that it was the right thing to do. Even my daughter who buys organic feed for her girls says that the Merrick's (sp?) vaccine is really important for new chicks. It can only be done right at the time they are hatched, so if you don't do it when you order, it can't be done later.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by