My chicks are putting themselves to bed now.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DaddyChicken, Jun 25, 2011.

1. DaddyChicken

DaddyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Byron, GA
    Thursday night, which was their fourth night in their new home, the chicks went in the coop on their own at 9pm. I wasn't at home but my wife checked on them before I got home. Last night I was able to stand back and watch them all go in the coop. Although, three of them circled the coop for a while like they were trying to figure out how to get in. I guess they finally figured it out.

I would have never thought I could be happy for a chicken [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  2. BeckyandHerBrood

BeckyandHerBrood Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Champaign, IL
    This made me smile. I was SO excited when my went to bed on their own the first time.

3. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    My five BR's (aka the apple dumpling gang) finally learned to go to the coop at night. It took a week of carrying them out there but they finally got it. It made me a proud chicken mama. [​IMG]

4. kesali

kesali Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    far northern Wisconsin
    My 7-week old pullets are putting themselves to bed, too. However, I made their door open/close horizontally when I built the coop. The last couple nights three or four decide to roost on the top of the door. I have to take them off and put them in the coop and they get so upset about it. Tomorrow I am going to change the hinges so it opens vertically, flush against the wall so they can't perch on it when it is time to go to bed. I want them all in the coop and the door shut at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by