My Chicks are six weeks old, When can they go outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by katness, Apr 3, 2009.

1. katness

katness Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Chico,ca
    I have one rooster who is fully feathered and one silkie who just is getting all her feathers. When should they go outside?

2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Outside as in to a coop, or outside as in freerange?
    If they are in the house and you are looking to relocate them to an outdoor coop/shed, you can do it now for sure. I have 4 day old silkies that have been in my shed for three days now

3. katness

Feb 18, 2009
    Chico,ca
    outside in a large cage, would that be ok , how much heat do they need at this stage?

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Now that i am not sure, I don't know what kind of weather you guys get. I usually keep mine draft free until about 8 weeks anyway, but that's in Canada

5. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

My 4 week olds are outside in a dog lot today. They have two dog houses filled with hay to get in. and no light on them. Sun is dhinning and its beautiful today. A bit windy,but the chicks dont seem to mind.

6. katness

Feb 18, 2009
    Chico,ca
    the cage is covered and it gets about 45 at night. There are three together.

7. foweler

foweler Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Chico, CA
    Mine are 8 weeks and 6 weeks. They have been in the coop with a 250W red heat lamp since I got the 4 weeks ago.
    My coop is pretty well sealed but I was still worried when it was getting in the low 30's a few weeks ago but it was no problem.

I finished my run 2 weeks ago and have been letting them out around 6:30am. They are standing at the door waiting to come out these days. They go in and out freely until I close them in around 9pm ish.

My heatlamp came unscrewed 2 nights ago and they survived without it. In fact they've slept on the roosts instead of the floor the last 2 nights. I did raise the lamp and turn it back on last night cause I'm a chump.

Today they seem to be inside more than out with the wind and all.

I'd say if you can keep them out of the wind and have a heat lamp (if it gets cold) they should be OK.

8. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    It was 65 F this afternoon here in alabama & sunny so I let my 4 week olds out for the afternoon--in an outdoor pen, new grass, their food & water-- brought them in before it got dark.

I try and get them used to the outdoors as early as possible. The fresh air & sunshine, IMHO, are good for them.

9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    They'll be fine as long as they're fully feathered.

It's supposed to be ~58 this weekend in WA. I'm dying to do yard work, and fully plan to take my 2 chicks outside (caged) to start introducing them to the 2 standards & 1 banty who await them.

10. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    I have been putting mine outside too... and they don't seem to mind it when it gets a little chilly, they have thier own little house to go into with shavings etc... I bring them in at night though, but they are getting big and stinky, lol///

What if their heads are still a little poofy? but the rest of their bodies are fully feathered? I am a chump too, I start to over worry I think [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by