My chicks are sneezing... a lot.

kylee_06

Hatching
Apr 15, 2021
Hi everyone! I’m new to raising chickens and don’t have many people around to ask questions about their health. I’m only 16 and my mom won’t let me bring them to a vet. My chicks has been sneezing (two of them more than others) and I’ve caught two of them scratching their beaks. I tried to check their breathing but couldn’t really hear anything over the chirps. They have been eating and drinking regularly, they’ve been flying, and their poops look pretty normal. Except, one of them has watery stools that are light brown-ish. I’m really worried about them. I’ve already lost 3 chicks and it would pain me to lose more. Does anyone have an idea of what illness or disease they might have? And how to treat it?

If you lose another, send the body off for a necropsy to be tested. What kind of bedding are you using? Only disease that comes to mind in chicks, is Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG), which is a permanent lifelong chronic disease of poultry.

If you lose another, send the body off for a necropsy to be tested. What kind of bedding are you using? Only disease that comes to mind in chicks, is Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG), which is a permanent lifelong chronic disease of poultry.
I’m using pine shavings and have the bottom of the brooder lined with dog pee pads (they aren’t scented or anything). I’ve suspected that it might be MG.

I’m using pine shavings and have the bottom of the brooder lined with dog pee pads (they aren’t scented or anything). I’ve suspected that it might be MG.
Pine shavings can very very dusty and can cause coughing, sneezing, itchy eyes and sometimes wheezing. Have you checked their poop?

Pine shavings can very very dusty and can cause coughing, sneezing, itchy eyes and sometimes wheezing. Have you checked their poop?
Yes, their poop looks normal, except one of them has brown diarrhea (it’s somewhat solid). I’ve been cutting back on the shavings because I read that it could cause sneezing, etc. like you said. So, I’ve start using pellets along with seeds because I noticed they thought the pine shavings were food.

Back
Top Bottom