My chicks are sounding an alarm, do I turn back on the heat lamp or...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by twinkids*tripletchicks, May 26, 2011.

1. twinkids*tripletchicks

twinkids*tripletchicks Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    I turned off the heat lamp today and my 3 chicks are crying, crying, crying. Are they cold or is it the dark? They are in the house where it is 70. I went in to check on them and they are standing under the heat lamp looking up at it. Thanks for any suggestions. I hate to hear them cry.

Oh, sorry, they are 5 weeks old.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's not unusual for them to do this when they are suddenly in the dark. They will get used to it, really, and all will be well. I think I've only had this happen to me for one night.

3. jeepchick

jeepchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Loudon, New Hampshire
    My chicks are 6 weeks old and it is by NO means cold in the brooder... I dont have heat on them anymore and they actually live outside now but when I would turn off the lights in the room at night they would carry on something terrible. They prob just need to get used to the dark. I would usually stand there and talk to them and shhhhh them for a minute or two and they would calm down. Don't let them bully you into keeping the heat on...they should be fine at 5 weeks old [​IMG]

4. jenanneray

jenanneray Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I did this for a few minutes so I could candle the eggs in the incubator that are in the same room as the brooder. The baby freaked out (who is in with his momma) but was fine after a few minutes. I guess he decided he was too tired to put up any more fuss, so went back to sleep.

5. twinkids*tripletchicks

twinkids*tripletchicks Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Thank you, we will be looking forward to a quieter night tonight. My 5 year olds (who don't have a night light but do have flashlights available) wanted a night light for the chicks, but I think we will hold firm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by