My chicks are terrified of me

They're gonna be 2 months tomorrow.
As they start to grow out of the chick stage, they'll start to become more independent. did you handle them a lot as babies? You can always bring them treats to try and get them to eat from your hand. Mine love cucumbers and tomatoes, and they'll come running when they see me walk into the run with a bag of veggies. Don't move to quickly towards them, and don't grab them by surprise, or it'll just make them trust you less. best of luck!

As they start to grow out of the chick stage, they'll start to become more independent. did you handle them a lot as babies? You can always bring them treats to try and get them to eat from your hand. Mine love cucumbers and tomatoes, and they'll come running when they see me walk into the run with a bag of veggies. Don't move to quickly towards them, and don't grab them by surprise, or it'll just make them trust you less. best of luck!
Thanks!! Will try this and see what happens. Also yes I did try to interact with them as much as possible when they were new.

Are they in a brooder you must reach down into? That is how predators get them, it is instinctively scary.
Chicks in a large open space where you interac from under/the side does wonders. Another advantage to brooding in a big space, ie the coop, you can get down with them and are a curiosity rather than threat

Are they in a brooder you must reach down into? That is how predators get them, it is instinctively scary.
Chicks in a large open space where you interac from under/the side does wonders. Another advantage to brooding in a big space, ie the coop, you can get down with them and are a curiosity rather than threat
I've got them in a pen/coop. I kneel down and almost crawl in when going to feed or do anything I need to come into contact with them

I've got them in a pen/coop. I kneel down and almost crawl in when going to feed or do anything I need to come into contact with them
Sit down and ignore them....read a book (out loud is great as it makes your voice familiar)....if they approach, ignore them....if they hop on you, ignore them....your urge will be to touch/pet/etc, don't, not yet. Sprinkle feed on your legs, let them eat off of you. Pur your hands down flat in the bedding/on the ground.

Sit down and ignore them....read a book (out loud is great as it makes your voice familiar)....if they approach, ignore them....if they hop on you, ignore them....your urge will be to touch/pet/etc, don't, not yet. Sprinkle feed on your legs, let them eat off of you. Pur your hands down flat in the bedding/on the ground.
I will definitely be trying these out! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom