my chicks are terrified..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aubreynoramarie, May 27, 2010.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    ...of Me!
    I've two baby chicks, both are americaunas, and both are almost two weeks old. one is a black/brown mix, the other is yellow. Now i did a bit of research before i bought them for egg laying. I wanted this breed because they are cold hardy and docile. Ive made sure their lamp was atthe perfect temp. their food and water is in the perfect spot, but it seems that evry day these babies grow more and more fearful of me. the day i brought them home they were mildely fearful, but let me hold them without much protest. i have had them for a week now and it seems that everytime i peek my head in to check on their food and water they peep peep peep so loudly. if i try to pick up my yellow one (named Darla <3) she usually just flops there and lets me inspect her, but peeps very loudly the entire time. But if i try to pick up my other hen, Elenor (brown and black) she seems to literaly thrash her legs about as if she is dying and peeps as loud as the heavens to hear.

now i do understand that a giant hand is terrifying for a little baby chick, and i do get that sudden movements can be confusing. However when i got them at one week old they did not protest their handling as much as they do now, at two weeks old. so i have joined this forum to ask, how to yo aquimmate yourbaby chicks to human hands? i bought this breed because my research told me they were docile, and i want to make sure i take all the right steps to ensure Darla and Elenore grow up to enjoy humans as much as im sure ill enjoy them and their (hopefully) abundant eggs.

thanks for any help. i am a first time chick owner and i really want to raise them right. their coop that i am still in the process of building is actually a part of our home, so they get our central heating as well as light, windows, etc. they will have run of our side yard and protection from predetors. i cant wait till we get our first eggs, assuming they arent too afraid to lay! thanks again,

aubrey nora marie

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Quote:Where are they? How old are they?

3. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    sorry, this part posted wthout the rest. ive posted the rest of this now...hope you get it and can help!

4. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    First let me say I don't know much of chickens, just what happened today with mine.

I'd had them in an old, dead chest freezer as their brooder and of course the only thing they see is the giant hand coming down to get them, so they never really warmed up to me. They are approx 5-6 weeks old right now.

Today, they got to go in their new coop and I can also walk into it and have a place to sit down. They have only been in there HALF a day and tonight at 10pm I went and sat and they all pretty much went about their business except ONE that came over between my feet and craned her neck and chirruped at me, so I picked her up and she sat on my lap for almost an hour! Mind you, there has been daily feeding, watering and interaction with these guys, but NOT to this extent...

So, I think once they can be away from the giant hand and see you all together as a person, they will get it [​IMG]

5. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:wow, this sounds really great! i will be finishing up their coop this weekend, but since there is only th tw of them and the coop is attatched to the house, it will not be large enough for me to walk into and get to know em. this is my fear. htei coop is about three feet by three feet by seven feet high with roosts and perches (very hard to explain without pics, i know!). one wall will be solid with the perches and shelving, the other two will be windows/screens for warmth, the last wall will be the chicken wire and mesh/wire door that i will be able to collect eggs from in the house. so i will not be able to enter the coop to sit in, only to reach my giant hand into. however, from this small coop is a door that leads to the ouside yard on the bottom floor of all the roosts. perhaps if i do this from the outside area, would it stil work the same? ....hope that all made sense, i really want this help as it would kill me if my full grown hens were terrified of me! thank you so much!

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Once they are four weeks old and you start to give them treats, then they'll really come around....

7. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    and btw our run allows for four hens.....do i wait till theyre all grown up to introduce eachother or should i just try to find some other two week old and make them all grow up together??? so many questions thje darned book doesnt tell you!!!

8. chickmeister

chickmeister Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    SW Michigan
    You don't want to introduce baby chicks to full grown chicks. If you wait to get your second set then keep them away from the older birds until they can fend for themselves and introduce with plenty of supervision.
    As far as the handling goes-we handle our chicks every day no matter how much they don't care for it. We are gentle and do our best to calm them while we hold them, which seems to help calm them down faster. Also, when we put them down we don't let go of them until they stop twisting and freaking out and relax so they don't get it into their heads that thrashing about and yelling at us will get them away from us any sooner. I know it sounds kind of mean but it really works. Even the more skittish birds will sit on the ground in front of us for a good five seconds before they stand up and walk, not run, away from us.
    Hope that helps.

9. mcharles13

mcharles13 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Play with your chicks every day. Feed them while they sit in your lap. A cloth on your lap helps to prevent "he just pooped he probably won't poop, o crap there's poop on my clothes" syndrome. Cup them in your hand, and let their head poke out. Rub their head on your cheeks. Generally just baby them. They will get to know you. Mine are 4 weeks now and know me very well. The two that i baby that is. The others could care less about me. I put a twisty tie around their legs so i could know who is who. Now when i come to pick them up. Those 2 will stand still or come to me, while the others run. I'm intentionally not affectionate to the others as they will some day be processed. I'm not mean, just don't want to get attached.

Have fun with your babies they'll get to know their "momma" quickly.

,mike

10. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Quote:I think this would help yes, plus what everyone else said [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by