1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicks are wasting their food!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Delaware Cuties, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Delaware Cuties

Delaware Cuties New Egg

Mar 22, 2016
    Tacoma, WA
    My chicks are wasting a quart of food a day! I'm not sure what to do about it. Is there a trick that can be used to keep them from kicking their food out of their feeder? [​IMG]

2. dana0710

dana0710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    East Texas
    Well, that's par for the course. You can find something to set your feeder on to raise it a little bit and that may help, or they may just jump on it and do it some more.[​IMG]

3. Delaware Cuties

Delaware Cuties New Egg

Mar 22, 2016
    Tacoma, WA
    Thank you for your tip. I put their food up on a couple of side by side bricks and since then they have ceased waisting thier food. :D

4. bluejean55girl

bluejean55girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2016
    Wellington, Tx
    Holes are about 1 1/2". I left the top of circle attached and pushed it in. My peeps are 11 days old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. RedBreasted

RedBreasted Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    You can try to show them how to eat like hold on to one of each of them and tip their beak slightly to the food and the water. It can slo be the lamp is too hot to keep them in and they don't eat. Anyways, I don't know what you mean "my chicks are wasting their food!"

6. Delaware Cuties

Delaware Cuties New Egg

Mar 22, 2016
    Tacoma, WA
    They are great eaters, but they put their little legs in their food and kick it out of the container, then they poop all over their food on the ground. I got home and a whole quart jar of food had been kicked out of the feeder and on to the ground.

7. kgb6days

kgb6days Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2016
    I set my feeder inside a larger round pan. That caught 90% of the feed they kicked out. Then I just picked out the shavings and put the food back into the feeder. Made a big difference for us

2 people like this.
  8. dana0710

dana0710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    East Texas
    The pan is a good idea!

9. seolari

seolari Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2015
    The best solution to this that I have found that really works is putting in chicken wire on your food container. [​IMG]T I have tried everything, nothing's even comes close to this. It works great for chicks with the starter/ grower with no measurable loss of food 99.9 percent range. But it is unbelievable with the layer pellets of the full grown chickens. I know that it is not wise to speak in absolutes but I have tried to measure loss of food with this solution and I can honestly say that I have not found any on the ground. With all the expensive products out there this simple solution is the best that I have found and I believe that anybody that tries it will think of it the same way.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  10. ccrow

ccrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Southern Maine
    I use one of the plastic feeders with a base that has holes all around, and I also put it in a larger dish. It really cuts down on the waste!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by