My chicks Arrived

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hollyk, Dec 11, 2008.

1. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    The post office called me at 6am this morn. My 26 EE's arrived! This is our first batch ever. We are so excited, it was kind of like Christmas when my 4 kids woke up this morning. The chirping woke them up.[​IMG]

The little girls came from Ideal Poultry. The shipped yesterday and arrived today. We lost one. I am still pleased considering it was in the upper 20's last night.[​IMG]

Now I just have one question: Do they ever shut up?!![​IMG]

2. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    They are just scared. After they get heat and food/water and get used to the environment they will stop that chirping so loud. Good luck with your babies and enjoy them because they grow fast. Mine are 2 months now and they are huge!!!

3. Texas ChickenZ

Texas ChickenZ Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2008
    North Texas
    Congratulations. We just got our first batch 4 weeks ago. You will be AMAZED how fast they grow! To answer your question, they will calm down and get quiet at times. Ours got quieter after a few days, but then after a week or so, they started chirping when they saw me coming. They knew food was on the way.

We aren't far from you in Canton- we live west of Kaufman. My wife loves First Monday and goes every chance she gets!

4. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    They grow so fast!!

Congrads on the babies!

5. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Pics PLEASE! [​IMG]

6. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Quote:We have taken pics all day- I'll have them up asap.

New question- what kind of watering system do you folks use for baby chicks. I just bought the kind on the shelf, the silver kind with holes, and they are soaking the litter. Is this just something I must learn to live with?[​IMG]

7. poupoule

poupoule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Congratulations on your new arrivals. I've got mine last week.
    You will find they will sleep a lot and then it will be quiet. Ilike hearing them so I know everything is ok. When they are quiet I always go and check them![​IMG]
    I use a plastic drinker and seems to work pretty well.
    Good luck!

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Congratulations.

9. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Yes please post some pics. We are ordering more EE's in the spring from Ideal.

10. Texas ChickenZ

Texas ChickenZ Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2008
    North Texas
    Quote:We have taken pics all day- I'll have them up asap.

New question- what kind of watering system do you folks use for baby chicks. I just bought the kind on the shelf, the silver kind with holes, and they are soaking the litter. Is this just something I must learn to live with?[​IMG]

We have a plastic waterer with a screw on lid that doubles as a tray, and it doesn't spill much. I did set it up on a couple of short 2x4's, to keep them from getting so much of the shavings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by