My Chicks came yesterday from Welp Hatchery (pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GardeNerd, Feb 16, 2009.

1. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi,
    The chicks had a ruff time in shipping. They were delayed an extra day in shipping; they shipped on Wed. and arrived on Sat. We lost some due to the stress and length of transit. There were 45 total between 8 of us, so most survived. I am keeping 8. It was a group order. I didn't keep exactly what I had ordered. I had ordered 2 red sexlinked, 2 barred rock, 2 black australorps, and 2 easter eggers. Due to the losses, I ended up with 1 RS, 2 BA, 3 BR, and 2 EE. Here are pics of my new little ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2009
  2. Comet Mum

Comet Mum Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    Oxford, NC
    AAAWWW so cute! I am glad most survived the transit. Yours look bright and alert. Best wishes.

3. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    Wow!!! They are beautiful!!! [​IMG]

I would be such a proud mommy, just like I'm sure you are. [​IMG]

Congratulations. Enjoy them. Keep us posted. [​IMG]

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Very, very cute! Thanks for sharing!

5. iread

iread Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    South Carolina
    Poor babies! Three days shipping! They sure are cute, though!

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Looks like the last couple are having an issue with pasty butt. You'll need to clean them up before they get plugged up.

Cute chicks tho.

I just looked at the picture again....maybe those are wing feathers I'm seeing?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  7. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

So so cute!!!! [​IMG]

I have 50 scheduled to arrive the first week of March. 50 brown egg layers and 50 ornamental layers.

I ordered them McMurray. I ordered from them before and everything was great.

Good luck with your chicks! [​IMG]

8. GardeNerd

Quote:Yeah, those are feathers on the EE. I do have two that are having issues with pasty butt. The RS and one of the BAs. They are the ones that got some plain yogurt because they didn't look like they were going to make it on Saturday. I am on top of it. I am using warm water on them and it isn't a big problem yet. It has been like taking care of new born babies this weekend; I just don't have all the new mommy acks and pains to go with it.

I spoke with Welp Hatchery's customer service this morning. They were really nice and understanding. No problem, they are shipping the chicks we ended up being short from our order out to us next week. They couldn't tell me if we will end up with any little roo packing peanut chicks or not. They said they would make a note on the order that if they did put roos in for warmth, to mark them. I kind of hope I don't get any, since I don't think it would be easy to find someone in the city willing to take cockerel chicks. I do understand about the warmth thing.

9. GardeNerd

We are very pleased with the service we received from Welp Hatchery. We got our replacement shipment this morning. They are all alive and well. They also sent an extra Red Sexlinked and an extra Barred Rock. No packing peanuts.

10. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    They are so sweet. i want to order more already and i just got mine yesterday..

shame on me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by