My chicks crop is HUGE! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WooingWyandotte, May 6, 2011.

1. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    My chicks got overfed and now their crops are enormous, we can see food in their crops because they are so stretched! I'm really angry, what can I do? Is there something to feed them? Is it best to just let them digest it? Please help!

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    take the feed away from them untill their crop goes down, and just keep an eye on them

3. WooingWyandotte

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Will do. Thanks.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Olive oil works too. Either soak a little piece of bread or use a dropper. I had to do it twice with the baby chicks.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If your going to try the olive oil, don't try getting it down the throats because if your not sure which hole to put it in you could get it into their lung and then you'll really have problems, I'd just take the food away and see how they look in the morning.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  6. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    Chicks will often eat a lot and have therefore have a large crop. This is normal, and whoever fed your chickens did nothing wrong. I'm not sure its even possible to overfeed them. I always leave food for my baby chicks 24/7. It is true that sometimes the crop can get compacted (which is serious), but usually it naturally takes care of itself.

7. WooingWyandotte

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Thank you so much! I just took the food away from them overnight then let them have it 24/7 and after a couple days crops are normal completely.

Last edited: May 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by