My chicks don’t like greens?!

May 2, 2018
So my chicks were born April 10th or so. I throw in lettuce or herbs like basil and parsley and they are totally not interested nor are they that thrilled about dried mealworms. They like blueberries and the hanging treats that you can buy at the store for chicks. Does anyone know why? I feed them Dumor chick starter which is not vegetarian feed. I was wondering if that is the problem? THey are still in the brooder and I will be moving them to the coop this weekend.

I have 2 adult, laying hens that still won't eat anything but their Dumor food (I've tried every type of yummy veggie available). Then I have 4 separate non-laying pullets that will devour lettuce, zucchini, cucumbers, etc. Personal preference of the hens I guess.

I suspect when I integrate them together, the 2 non-veggie lovers will see the others eating them and will join in, but that's just a guess.

My chicks didn't care for anything green other than the grass attached to clumps of soil we put in the brooder.

After more reading, I found out if they fill up their tiny selves with stuff other than their complete feed, there's a potential for nutrient deficiencies. So maybe our chicks just knew what they needed?

Back
Top Bottom