My chicks finally arrived!!! One prolapse.

MH37125

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2016
New Mexico
All 15 arrived chirping and thirsty :) All have been checked, fed and watered. One of the Salmon Faverolles seems to have a prolapse, and she is not as active or eating like the others. I have not wiped it, only dabbed it with some water and a cotton ball. I've read to leave it alone, use Prep H, witch hazel and too push it back in with a q-tip.

They are only 3 days old. Can Tucks witch hazel pads be used? Or is there a different method? Witch hazel can sometimes burn and her little vent looks raw and painful.

Last edited:

I would use the Preparation H or some honey on the prolapse. Those work a little better than witch hazel to reduce swelling. These chicks sometimes will survive, but sometimes they don't make it, possibly from other defects. I hope it gets better. Keep us posted.

I would use the Preparation H or some honey on the prolapse. Those work a little better than witch hazel to reduce swelling. These chicks sometimes will survive, but sometimes they don't make it, possibly from other defects. I hope it gets better. Keep us posted.

Thanks for posting! I hope she makes it, she is so adorable. She has started drinking more water and ate some hard boiled egg this afternoon. Gave her some PND.

Soaked her bum in warm Epsom salt water tonight and immediately she relieved herself in the water. Placed her back under the heat plate for the night, hope she is better in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom