1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicks from Mill Valley Chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by happima, Sep 23, 2011.

1. happima

happima Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2011
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My four babies from Mill Valley Chickens: Astralorp, Naked Neck, Wellsummer and Ameraucana.
    [​IMG]

This picture is from last week. They've already grown so much, especially the Ameraucana. I'm in love [​IMG]

Tomorrow we build the chicken coop. Is there a stage between the brooder and putting them out in the cold?

2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Cute!!!! They should be in brooder til they are feathered out, usually about 6 weeks.
    1st week 95 degrees, then lower 5 degrees per week until feathered out.
    With that few, they'll need a place that they can be out of cold and drafts but it does have to have good ventilation. Usually larger number of chicks/chickens will generate more heat so you could get by with more cold weather than with a smaller number. Make sure to use hardware cloth over anywhere open in your coop/run so predators can't get in and so they can't stick their heads through or get out.
    Do you have pictures of the coop you're going to build?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Quote:Those are cute!! I do have to say that the NN looks a bit like an angry Friar Tuck [​IMG] Just too cute!

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    new born chicks are so adorable!! [​IMG]

Steve

5. happima

happima Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2011
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Quote:Here's a picture of the coop that's being built today. I'm working with a guy in Marin who has a company called Laughing Chickens. He builds these coops with local youth. Getting the one that houses 5 or 6 chickens, just in case we want to expand the flock later.

[​IMG]

By the way, my biggest predator may actually be INSIDE the house. So far my dog has been good, but she doesn't get any alone time with the chicks just yet. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by