My chicks from the last week

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Katy, May 18, 2008.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

These are the chicks that have hatched in the last week. I think there's 28 total in the brooder. One got smooshed in the hatcher, another was weak from the beginning and died and there's one that is developing cross beak that I'll have to cull I'm sure.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Pretty babies! [​IMG]

I had one get smooshed in the hatcher too. [​IMG] Never happend before, didn't know something like that would.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've never had it happen either. I think this one got flipped on his back and couldn't get back over from the looks of him.

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Mine was face down, like maybe he was smothered. [​IMG] At least it was just the one. [​IMG] You've got a pretty good mix in there, are they from your own flock?

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Some are from mine and others are shipped eggs.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nice bunch, Katy. I've had a weird start to my year with some firsts I'd rather not have had, either. Guess if you have chickens long enough, you'll experience just about everything.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Thanks Cyn....and yes, if you have them long enough there's all sorts of stuff that can happen.....some good, some not!!

8. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Too cute!

9. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    Beautiful assortment of babies!! I like all the pretty colors. We had a Wellsummer hatch with it's head smushed in on one side and out on the other. It looked and acted weird but has mostly evened out and is doing okay now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by