my chicks got wet!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roosters97, Jun 28, 2008.

1. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    will they die?their shivering .we had a huge storm and the top wasn't on!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    How old are they? If you can, dry them with a towel. Then do what you can to warm them up ASAP. Use a heat lamp, maybe even a heating pad under them. They should be fine, just keep an eye on them and good luck.

3. roosters97

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    Help! he's dry but unbalanced

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Might have gotten some water in his head. Hopefully, it will clear o.k.. Feed him a bit of hot mash and a little PVS tonight, and put him to bed in a brooder box. Wake him briefly and GENTLY in a little while and see if he's improved. Plum tuckered, I bet. If he's NOT at least improved or is worse later, post back, okay. I'm not sure what else could be wrong but the drenching and exhaustion, but someone may have some advice.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  5. roosters97

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    he's a lot better! yeah!

6. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    My week old chicks got medium wet last year but we put them under a really warm brooder lamp and they dried out all fluffy in no time. They were fine the next day. I wouldn't let them stay wet or chilled though for any length of time. Mine were wet for about 20 minutes most.

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* That's great, Roosters!! [​IMG]

8. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I had a mishap where my 5 year old was looking into the brooder and spilled his kool-aid on chicks. Had to dry them off and then warm em up. They were sticky so i had to wash them and do it all over again but they made it.

9. roosters97

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    okay, thanks ya'll there all fine,I think they just wanted to come in! [​IMG]

10. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Very devious of them, calling up a gullywasher like that!!! Maybe that's the real reason why they take dirtbaths. Their way of praying for rain. "Lord, come fill up these holes we've dug so deep; We want to go in the house and get REALLY spoiled for a bit!!" I never bought those keeping cool/ getting rid of mites stories anyhow. . . . Smart chickens you got there. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by