my chicks HATE being held

Lilla

Chirping
Feb 17, 2018
tacoma, wa
these are my first chicks ever and i need them to be social or else i got a problem. they squirm, chirp and flap their wings to try to escape form my hand i'v tried feeding them chopped and unchopped meal-worms in my hand and they got scared but when i tossed 1 to them they chased the chick that got
:barnie

i know it going to take some time for them to get used to me but like any animal lover i wish they loved me right away. pleas help

They are chickens, not puppies! Sit there with them, feed a few treats (don't overdo!), make sure they have grit available, and let things develop.
Some individuals will like to sit on you or be held (by invitation only) and others just won't. Have them come when you call them for goodies, it's very helpful for their lifetime when ranging outside.
Be patient, quiet, and enjoy them for who they are.
Mary

Can you just a chopsitck? If not fingers will do but I've learned chopsticks work faster. Get some freeze dried mealworms or even the live ones will work, feed them with the chopstick/your fingers. Move slowly ... Even "peck" at their feed but move slowly. Also crunch some freeze dried mealworms, place in the palm of your hand & hold in their brooder, let them come to your hand, don't make sudden moves or noise. Takes alot of patience.

They're more frightened when grabbed, they're more relaxed when scooped ... With your hand scoop them with your hand, their legs between your fingers & body resting in your palm. Yes, I end up having to "corner" them to scoop but eventually they don't run & come to be carried. Some even end up jumping on my arm, it takes time & patience, daily routine.

Attachments

• DSC02710.JPG
    DSC02710.JPG
    747.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC02711.JPG
    DSC02711.JPG
    834.4 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC02712.JPG
    DSC02712.JPG
    801.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC02720.JPG
    DSC02720.JPG
    785 KB · Views: 6
Baby steps.
First thing in the morning, when they are hungry offer them food but only out of your hand, let them approach you instead of you approaching them. I always do this and now the chickens see me as the "treat fairy" lol. They follow me around everywhere. Once they are eating from my hand comfortably I started patting their backs after they got used to me a bit. Now they fly up onto my shoulders and let me walk up and pat them because they associate the thought of me with good stuff like treats, not being chased around and caught against their own will.
I never go and pick up my chickens yet they are way tamer and easier to catch then my friends who handles hers everyday. This is because chasing them around and picking them up when they don't want to breaks their trust and they start associating you with something negative.
If you really want to hold them, after getting them used to pats start getting them to associate being picked up with food, let them eat from you every time they are picked up and they will eventually start warming up to you. using food is your best bet to gaining their trust. My best advice is to become their "treat fairy" :)

Back
Top Bottom