My chicks have cocci what do I do now.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thefooladifamily, Jun 19, 2010.

1. thefooladifamily

thefooladifamily Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Baldwin County, AL
    I have a bunch of two week old chicks. On medicated feed, have been keeping Sulnet (sp?) in their water as instructed.

Two are starting to act funny, fluffy feathers, tired, etc. and I see bloody stool in there. I'm 100% positie is cocci. What do I need to run out and buy in the am and what can I do in the meantime so I don't wake up to dead chicks?

Thank you in advance!
    Amy

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The Sulmet is causing bloody stools, I bet. How long have they been on it? It's really hard on their intestines! You only use that IF they actually have cocci, and Corid is preferred since it is only concentrated Amprolium, not a sulfa drug. Remove the sulmet ASAP and give them plain yogurt or buttermilk in their crumbles once a day. Their gut bacteria is compromised by the sulmet, I bet. What do you mean "keeping" them on sulmet? From hatch or just how long do you mean? Someone steered you really wrong if that is the case.

3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:[​IMG]

I never knew it was hard on their systems. Isn't summlet good for corynza? I always was told corrid for cocci and everyone says it works wonders!!!

Just wanna give a shot out to my favorite moderator speckledhen [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  4. speckledhen

Sulmet is used for Coryza and some use it for cocci, but it makes the intestines bleed even if the cocci is gone. Corid is preferred since it is just concentrated amprolium and won't hurt them. I hope the OP hasn't had them on Sulmet for their entire lives. I hope, I hope.

5. Sillystunt

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:yeah, me tooooooo

6. thefooladifamily

Jun 10, 2010
    Baldwin County, AL
    I was told to keep it in their water until they were 16 weeks old.

If the Sulmet is causing intestinal damage why would they be fluffed up and so lethargic? Do they all do this before death?

So the cure is plain yogurt or buttermilk then..?

Thank you!

7. Sillystunt

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:I am sorry someone gave you very bad advise. you should only use that IF they need it. It's not a preventative................
    don't wanna freak you out but before mine die they fluff out [​IMG] NOT saying yours are. Take them off it ASAP and give them the yogurt tohelp with their digestive track. SORRY [​IMG]

8. thefooladifamily

Jun 10, 2010
    Baldwin County, AL
    Thank you:) It doesn't freak me out- it prepares me!!!

9. speckledhen

The yogurt and buttermilk soothe their intestines. I hope I don't get hold of the person who told you to keep them on a strong sulfa drug for their entire lives! Omigosh, that gets the "Stupid Advice of the Day" award! Sorry, that is just crazy stupid.

They probably never had cocci in the first place. Sulmet is a strong drug and is what is causing them to bleed. Get them fresh, clean water with nothing in it ASAP. Could be too much damage has already been done by the sulmet. I hope not.

If the Sulmet is causing intestinal damage why would they be fluffed up and so lethargic? Do they all do this before death?

Yes, they could die. That is what it looks like. They probably never had cocci at all. Healthy chicks do not need drugs, especially strong ones like Sulmet.​

10. Sillystunt

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:We have all been there! I deal with it and it is really good to prepare yourself but also have hope!!!! I have had ones i would swear they were gonna pass and they didn"t. then had healthy ones and bang...RIP little sweet bantam oegb that i loved!!! LOL

maybe they meant medicated chick feed until 16 weeks???? That sounds more like it. Your being a good chicken parent and they will be thankful your helping them!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by