My Chicks Have Diarrhea?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickiezz, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Chickiezz

Chickiezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    My mom wanted me to make an account so I can ask stuff about our chicks etc. and were knew to chicks and all that blah blah anyways, So I have chicks that have Diarrhea and it keeps sticking to their butts. What should we do to get off and why do they all have Diarrhea? Is it bad for them??? I don't want them ti die because our last bantam chicks died.
    [​IMG] HELP! [​IMG]

2. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    Wipe it off gently with warm water and a q-tip. Some soak the little butts first (I do in a lil bowel of water) and do it very softly (if not careful you can pull there pooper inside out...not good).

A pinch of baking soda (like Arm and Hammer) in there water will help keep this from happening.

3. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are the chicks?

If less than a few weeks old make sure the poop isn't sticking to them and blocking the vent. If it is, you are dealing with pasty butt and must remove the poop or the chick will die. Soak the chicks bottom in warm water to soften the poop and gently rub until its gone. Check at least daily to make sure they can poop.

If they are older chicks, then we'll try to find out what's going on.

What feed are they eating? Treats? If so, what kind? Are they getting fresh clean water, daily? Are they all eating and drinking?
    What does the poop look like? Does it have a foul odor? What color is the poop?

Answering these questions will help to figure out what's going on!

Welcome to BYC!

4. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

since they are having pasty butt, i would put them on a Med feed.
    put some apple cider vinegar with mother in it, Unpurified apple cider about 1 tsp to a canning jar
    plus i start mine with they are a couple days old on chick grit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by