My chicks have just hatched ,

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by leannem8, Jul 5, 2016.

1. leannem8

leannem8 New Egg

Jul 5, 2016
    Hi all , I'm after some advise , I got two eggs from a friend as my chicken was broodie , about 2weeks before they were due to hatch my other chicken got broodie , she keep steeling the eggs , so kept making sure the both had one , now they have hatch I'm frightened they mite attack them , at the moment it looks like they have one each ... Regards Leanne [​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Leanne

Glad you could join the flock! I'm afraid I can't be of much help as I moved my broody hen to a seperate coop of her own. I have read though about hens fighting over chicks or stealing other hens chicks but I believe this is not always the case. I'm sure if you pop by one of these threads you will get lots of help ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Broody+hen+#

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The thing to do would be to separate the two broodies and give them each a place of their own. Give one chick to each and make sure they can't get out of their area. They would do best if they couldn't see or hear each other. Then they each will settle with their one chick and devote their time and energy to that.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. leannem8

leannem8 New Egg

Jul 5, 2016
    Thanks for all your advise , at the monument they have one each and seem to be getting on well ....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by