1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Chicks Have Runny Poop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rivers2011, May 15, 2011.

1. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    Hello Backyardchickens members,
    Has anyone else had chicks with runny, light-coloured poop? Two of my six chicks have this problem and I'm hoping it's not a sign of anything serious.
    Thank you!
    ~River

2. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    This is a good reference, if not now, for the future when they are older : http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

I
    hope someone has good advice for you...I haven't raised chickens in years and years. The age and what you are feeding them might help someone help you.

1 person likes this.
  3. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    runny poo is normal ..remember their "pee" and poo is mixed together lol...

but sometimes when my chicks were stressed by being handled too much they had runnier poo

1 person likes this.
  4. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Whenever I get worried about a certain poop I look it up on that link u posted and it has always answered my ?'s so far. It's a great resource! [​IMG]

5. rivers2011

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    Awesome! Thank you for the references. They're 12 days old, and they've been fed chick starter...and twice I've given them a very small amount of cornmeal, lettuce and spinach...

6. lanie8

lanie8 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    I just got some chicks recently ,and they had somthing cald pasty butt(poop stuck to their bums). They also had runny poop so I gave them some boiled egg.After a few days it cleared up.If your chicks happen to have pasty butt ,you want to make sure you get it off! Because if you don't they might not be able to poo,and could die. I really hope I helped. If you have any more questions about the chicks ,Igladly like to help eventhough i've only had chicks fo a little while.
    Good Luck!

7. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Quote:Fantastic link Erin!!! [​IMG] thanks for sharing!! [​IMG]

8. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    It is normal for chickens to have runny poop quite regularly. Read the following...

Waste (faeces)
    The remainder of the material consisting of waste and undigested food are mixed with the urine in the cloaca and eliminated from the body as faeces. The appearance of the faeces varies considerably, but typically is a rounded, brown to grey mass topped with a cap of white uric acid from the kidneys. The contents of the caeca are also discharged periodically as discrete masses of brown, glutinous material.

It sounds like you might be describing the discharge from the caeca. This is where more complex compounds are broken down.

http://www.poultryhub.org/anatomy-and-physiology/digestive-system/

1 person likes this.
  9. rivers2011

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    Quote:Good to know this too...they chicks have had that "brown glutinous material" too and I was getting worried when I couldnt see a pic of something similar on that first link. Awesome info! Thanks!

10. chickrunfun

chickrunfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2015
    South Tampa, Florida
    The study of poo...this is prime stuff here. My smallest (Thumbelina (speckled sussex at 3 weeks) has been having a run of the runs, and it has been making me frown a little. This IS great info and I thank you for posting the links, epeloquin and ErinG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by