1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicks keep dying!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by yoker, Apr 21, 2009.

1. yoker

yoker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    And one has a poopy butt all the time even after wiping it with a cloth.
    I don't know what to do?

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Sorry but we can't help without information. Age, behavior etc. Hope you figure it out. Best of Luck.

3. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    For pasty butt, try soaking the chicks bottom in warm water in an old butterware container (tupperware). Don't make it too hot and use the same temp you would wash a newborn baby in. Soaking it about 5 minutes should loosen up the most stubborn poo. After soaking, wipe any remaining poo off. BE WARNED: THERE MAY BE A POOP EXPLOSION!!! Clean up after the poop explosion again. Finally, take a qtip, dip it in veggie oil (olive oil, vaseline, ky jelly), and wipe the area around the vent with it. The idea with the oil is to help prevent it from occurring again. Some people also add molasses to the water for prevention.

4. yoker

yoker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    They are 2 weeks old and have been dying since I got them (3 days).
    I put older ones in with them and I think they suffocated a couple then I separated them and a few more died.
    Thanks for the info on poopy butts.
    I use a seringe and put water on it then it comes of prity good.
    But I will try the oil that is a good Idea.

5. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Be sure that the brooder isn't too hot or too cold. Also don't give them anything with sugar which can give them runny poops. I wouldn't give them anything but starter crumbles and clean, fresh water.

Where did the chicks come from?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by