My chicks KEEP ON PEEPING!!

SuperCoco

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 15, 2009
My chicks keep on peeping. Are they supposed to do that?
hmm.png
They keep going PEEP PEEP PEEP REAL LOUD!!!! I think they are supposed to do that cause they are just chicks but I was not sure so I asked. Thanks for your reply!

Yea they peep some but if they are really loud it's usually because they are hungry, thirsty or cold or hot.... they should settle down and be quiet once they have everything they need.

Try moving the lamp closer or farther away and see if it helps

Nancy

How's their behavior? Are they huddled under the heat lamp (too cold) or as far away from the heat source as possible (too hot). Are you seeing them eat and drink?
I agree with the others. Loud peeping = hot, cold, hungry or thirsty.

Assuming you have constant feed and water in front of them, it sounds like temperature issues.

Assuming you have a lamp to warm the birds, are they huddled directly below it (they're too cold) or are they getting as far from it as they can (they're too hot?) As was said, raise ofr lower the lamp.

Also put a thermometer below the lamp to see how warm it is. First week: 95 degrees F. Second week: 90, third week 85 degrees. How old are they? Are they getting a draft from anywhere?

Wayne

If the top of the brooder is open, try covering about half of it or so, that quieted down the one of my seven that kept up the loud peeping. Maybe yours are not used to open top. Ed

Sounds like great advice has already been given. Sounds like they are chilled or too warm.

Regarding the top of the brooder - I am using a metal dog crate lined with 1/2" cardboard. I have kept a fleece blanket draped over the top and find that this really keeps the drafts out and heat in. The heat lamp is inside the brooder and I check to be sure the blanket doesn't get warm. When it gets too toasty, I pull back the blanket about half way and the temps slowly drops a few degrees. I am in the second week now so the blanket comes off during the day and back on at night, b/c we heat with wood and the stove goes out during the early hours of the morning.

The other safety measure I took is to duct tape the cord to the side of the brooder and tie a zip tie through the lamp loop and around the wire rung of the kennel.

I had that problem last nite, they (banties)would settle down if i cupped them in my hands- so finally i tried an experiment, i have a stuffed bat, a beanie baby and set him in there, so they could snuggle under his wings- and like magic they settled down- maybe something to snuggle in would help- i'm new so i may just have a few odd ones

Back
Top Bottom